How to Detect a Potential Scammer in Manila Craigslist

, , No Comments

Manila Craigslist is one of my biggest client sources online. It is a classified advertisements website wherein you could find freelance writing jobs.

Back then, I previously applied on a writing job. The "employer" was looking for a writer. I submitted my resume and sample written works because the pay per 500-word article was quite good.

After a few hours, I got a reply from the "employer." I thought it was my lucky day. However, I smelled a potential scam. 

I'm not saying that the "employer" is really a scammer but I won't take writing jobs that would put me at risk.

I had enough experiences of being scammed when I was a newbie writer.

Why is it a potential scam?

1. The "employer" does not observe proper sentence construction. The ad that the "employer" posted was quite decent. I understand that the "employer's" native language was not English. And maybe, he's not the avid writer himself. But if you are an employer and if you want to show a little formality between you and your future employee, you need at least to observe proper sentence construction. Observe capitalization and use the correct punctuation marks.

2. The "employer" hired me instantly without trying to explain the work and payment conditions. Sure, my instant hiring may be due to my splendid resume and  great sample articles. However, if you are truly a legit employer, you will take time to explain the work conditions, especially the payment conditions to your newly hired employee. As the employer, you will take the initiative to build trust with your doubtful new employee.

3. The "employer" remained anonymous. I asked whom I would be working with and the "employer" only answered that "you will be working with us." Who's that "us" by the way? Since I was already "hired," the "employer" should at least e-mail me with his real e-mail address. (Manila Craigslist allows you to send mails anonymously.)

4. The "employer" demands you to start writing at once. Honestly, who would in their right mind would present all the topics in a single flash without even straightening things up with your employee? I have too many questions left unanswered, especially about the work and payment conditions.

5. The "employer" vaguely answers all of your questions. Okay, so I asked him again to whom I would be working for, specifically, I asked to see his profile, and when and how the payments would be sent. I also asked how many articles per day should I write. He only said that I would be getting my salary once the job is done. He didn't even bother to answer all the questions.


So, how do you detect a potential scammer? Have you been scammed before?

0 Monmonkun Comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments Monmon.