The Average Lifespan of Cats

, , No Comments
An old cat (credits)
I came across an article entitled, "How to Care for Your Senior Cat." And this made me wonder how long do cats usually live.

I have only one lovable cat that stayed and chose to rest in peace in our humble home. Her name is Tabby.

I got her name from a children's book given by my mother when I was a kid. It's called "Great-Great Uncle Henry's Cats." I still have the book.

Tabby reached the age of 10 years, according to my mother. I had seen her dying. But I couldn't do anything for her. She's already weak and old.


Life expectancy in cats

Life expectancy in cats differ. Indoor cats usually live longer than outdoor cats. 

Indoor cats could live for as long as 13 to 17 years. It is also reported that indoor cats could also reach the age of 20 or 21. On the other hand, outdoor cats could only live for about 3 to 5 years.  See the difference?

But of course, the life longevity of our pet cats also depends on the level of care we give them. Outdoor cats tend to have a shorter life because of the possible dangers they could meet outside their homes.

My Tabby was lucky enough to live for as long as 10 years. She's an outdoor cat. Well, all of my pet cats are outdoors since my parents do not allow them to stay/sleep inside our house.


The oldest cat

Creme Puff was the oldest cat that ever lived. It is recorded in the Guinness Book of Records that Creme Puff lived for as long as 38 years in Austin, Texas with her wonderful owner family.



Good reads:

How to Care for Your Senior Cat
What's the Normal Indoor Cat Lifespan
Cat Lifespan - the life expectancy of cats

0 Monmonkun Comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments Monmon.